Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ctrl-alt-f1 not taking me to commandline...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[SOLVED] ctrl-alt-f1 not taking me to commandline...

Having some odd issues with X... Shouldn't ctrl-alt-F1 take me to the commandline, and ctrl-alt-f7 take me to another X server window? Right now everything but F6 throws me a black screen... and never progresses.

Not even sure where to look to figure this one out.

--edit
    I think I put this in the wrong forum...
    Last edited by wardrich; October 22nd, 2008 at 08:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ctrl-alt-f1 not taking me to commandline...

yeah man, try looking in keyboard shortcuts i believe, or keyboard...in system preferences and set the shortcuts...

Beans

Guess you are on 8.10 beta?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Hexagoon View Post
    Guess you are on 8.10 beta?
    Sorry, I forgot to mention, I'm using 7.1, and I'm using Compiz, and a Radeon Mobility x1400. I've got the fglrx drivers on here.

Quote Originally Posted by taseedorf View Post
    yeah man, try looking in keyboard shortcuts i believe, or keyboard...in system preferences and set the shortcuts...
    Those are just for gnome shortcuts.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

What do you have set for your framebuffer on the kernel line in the GRUB menu.lst

After upgrading to Intrepid I had to remove the "vga=###" part of the line because I'd just get a black screen when I dropped down to a terminal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Kahunaca View Post
    What do you have set for your framebuffer on the kernel line in the GRUB menu.lst

After upgrading to Intrepid I had to remove the "vga=###" part of the line because I'd just get a black screen when I dropped down to a terminal.
    I don't have any vga=### in my menu.lst

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

7.10, and I'm using Compiz, and a Radeon Mobility x1400
    Disable desktop effects and try again. I started using desktop effects with an ATI video card only one week ago on the latest Ubuntu Hardy version.

If disabling desktop effects does not resolve the issue, try whether it is solved disabling the fglrx drivers.

Anyway, I strongly recommend you to upgrade to (super stable long term supported) Hardy release. For me, Ubuntu 7.10 was the worst version I have known with serious issues related to my graphics. Things have vastly improved in 8.4 (Hardy) for me: I can even hibernate and suspend without problem now (and yes, I finally switched to compiz-fusion (desktop effects)).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by wardrich View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to mention, I'm using 7.1, and I'm using Compiz, and a Radeon Mobility x1400. I've got the fglrx drivers on here.

Those are just for gnome shortcuts.
    Hi and I did recall some issues with the Virtual Terminals with 7.10 and this link may help
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=595825

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Disable desktop effects and try again. I started using desktop effects with an ATI video card only one week ago on the latest Ubuntu Hardy version.

If disabling desktop effects does not resolve the issue, try whether it is solved disabling the fglrx drivers.

Anyway, I strongly recommend you to upgrade to (super stable long term supported) Hardy release. For me, Ubuntu 7.10 was the worst version I have known with serious issues related to my graphics. Things have vastly improved in 8.4 (Hardy) for me: I can even hibernate and suspend without problem now (and yes, I finally switched to compiz-fusion (desktop effects)).

I think I'll let the update manager run while I'm in bed, the lack of an update has mostly been due to lack of time... and also lack of a good memory

8.04LTS = Hardy, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by taseedorf View Post
    i have seen the same problem at my fren's system .. but in a different distro than ubuntu..
    Requires Windows XP or better'. So I installed LINUX...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast